‘Time is our most precious commodity…Once you have used it, you can never get it back.’ - Anon
Have you ever received disastrous results for simple tasks? And the root case was the classic: “Sir, because I thought yada, yada, yada…” Notice those two annoying words: I thought.
I am sharing this simple lesson with you because my team recently wasted so much time on a project - all because of ONE person who didn’t see the need to pay attention because of her ‘I know it already’ attitude.
Here are simple Do’s and Don’ts to help you learn how to pay attention and increase productivity.
FROM THE START
It's important to UNDERSTAND instructions clearly.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions if something is not clear.
- It's better to CLARIFY any doubts beforehand - than to waste time later on.
Make a checklist to prioritize your tasks. Using ‘bullets’ like I do is a great aid.
- It will help you focus on what needs to be done in batches.
- You will avoid getting distracted by other things.
Get rid of anything that might take your attention away from what you need to do.
- Put your phone on silent.
- Close unnecessary tabs on your computer.
- Find a quiet place to work.
Review your work before submitting it.
- This can help you catch any errors that could have been avoided if you paid closer attention.
- Never submit work that has not been reviewed.
- Don’t you dare say you were in a hurry to beat the deadline.
TIPS AND TECHNIQUES
Respect other people’s time. Pay attention!
- Improve your focus.
- Stay on track.
- Increase your productivity.
Stop wasting time and causing delay for others. It is NOT acceptable to say: ‘It’s okay, I will just do it over.’ There are deadlines!
Remember, we are all in one business: Service.