The Quezon City government declared a dengue outbreak on Saturday after cases skyrocketed by 200 percent from Jan. 1 to Feb. 14.
In a press briefing, Mayor Joy Belmonte said the city government has already mobilized all available resources to curb the outbreak, ensure services are accessible, and protect its residents, particularly children, from the disease.
"Our declaration of a dengue outbreak ensures that we are on top of the situation, and we are doing everything we can to protect our residents from this deadly disease, especially our children," Belmonte said.
Data from the QC Epidemiology and Surveillance Division showed that 1,769 dengue cases were reported between Jan. 1 and Feb. 14, a nearly 200 percent increase in cases compared to the same period last year.
Belmonte said 58 percent of the reported cases involved school-aged children, 5 to 17, while 44 percent were children aged 1 and 10.
Ten residents, eight of them minors, have died from the disease.
Belmonte appealed to parents to protect their children from the disease.
“Let’s stay vigilant about our children's health and take the lead in clean-up drives within our communities,” she said.
To strengthen early detection and treatment, she has directed all 66 health centers in the city to operate daily, including weekends, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Fever express lanes have also been established in health centers and hospitals to provide swift medical attention to those showing dengue symptoms.
Free dengue test kits will be available for residents, she added.
Barangay spraying teams will conduct fogging operations in high-risk areas under the supervision of sanitary inspectors.
Larviciding is also being carried out in water bodies to eliminate mosquito breeding sites.
Residents are advised to take preventive measures, including using mosquito repellents, wearing protective clothing, and eliminating stagnant water from containers, tires, and drainage systems. (PNA)
#WeTakeAStand #OpinYon #OpinYonNews #DengueOutbreak #PublicHealth