In an apparent nod to the recommendations of health experts and even business leaders who said that August which is dubbed Ghost Month is slow month for business anyway, the national government has decided to place National Capital Region under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) from August 5 to 20.
REALIZING the gravity of the threat being posed by the rampaging Delta variant which is slowly becoming the dominant strain of the coronavirus, the national government has finally elevated Metro Manila's quarantine status to a "stricter" enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
The decision came following the recommendations of UP-based OCTA Research Group and was supported by local government units and business leaders.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) has agreed to enforce the stricter quarantine status on the National Capital Region (NCR) from August 5 to 20.
From July 30 to August 5, however, the region will be under general community quarantine "subject to heightened and additional restrictions."
The Metro Manila Council (MMC), along with business groups, had earlier asked national government to impose the ECQ status in the National Capital Region (NCR) due to rising cases of Covid-19 that could be driven by the highly-transmissible Delta variant.
In an evening VLOG, former IATF adviser Dr. Tony Leachon said there had been a steep rise in productivity of infections (at 15 percent) despite the non-reporting by five testing centers, and yet government is taking its time to decide on whether to lock down the epicenter (NCR plus) or not. (ONT)
Tags: #Covid19, #Deltavariant, #InterAgencyTaskForce, #enhancedcommunityquarantine