Over the years, the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) has become so congested that it has become doubtful if it can still be considered a humane institution or a reformatory place.
As more and more Persons Deprived of Liberty (PDP) are cramped in the now tight space of the correctional facility, the conditions make it easier to spread diseases which is only one of many more underlying concerns of the Department of Justice.
Due to this, PDLs are now being transferred to other prisons in an attempt by the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) to decongest the facility.
"The continuing transfer of PDLs from NBP to other operating prisons and penal farms outside of Metro Manila is part of our efforts to decongest the NBP and our preparations for the closure of the national penitentiary by 2028," BuCor Director General Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. said.
In Leyte, around 48 PDLs had been transferred to the regional prison and they just arrived last Sunday (January 21). Catapang said 23 of the PDLs transferred came from NBP's Maximum Security Compound while the remaining 25 were from the medium-security section.
After the said PDLs are moved, the existing NBP will be made into a government center.
#OpinYon8 #Bilibid #NewBilibidPrison #PDP #BuCor #DOJ #OpinYon #WeTakeAStand

