1k diarrhea cases reported in EV
Public Health

1k diarrhea cases reported in EV

Mar 4, 2025, 3:19 AM
OpinYon News Team

OpinYon News Team

News Reporter

The Department of Health (DOH) in Eastern Visayas is urging the public to continue practicing proper sanitation, following an uptick in cases of diarrhea in the region.

Citing the latest report, DOH Eastern Visayas regional information officer Jelyn Lopez-Malibago said the regional health bureau has logged a total of 1,046 cases of acute watery diarrhea from January 1 to mid-February this year.

However, this is still lower by 24 percent compared to the 1,376 cases logged in the same period in 2024.

Eastern Samar province recorded the highest number of patients at 304, followed by Samar, 224; Biliran, 216; Leyte, 114; Northern Samar, 106; Tacloban City, 62; and Ormoc City with 20.

“Despite clusters of cases in 41 villages across the region, no outbreak has been declared. DOH defines an outbreak based on a significant rise in cases over the past five years, local government capacity, and recommendations from health authorities,” Malibago told media.

Decline in acute watery diarrhea cases early this year is attributed to preventive measures such as awareness campaigns, advisories during flooding, and the distribution of water testing kits, she added.

The DOH has funded the acquisition of 99 water testing kits to local governments last year, significantly increasing the number of kits available in towns and cities.

Previously, water testing kits were provided by the World Health Organization (WHO), according to Rez Dacoco, DOH regional coordinator for food and waterborne diseases.

Dacoco said diarrhea - loose, watery, and possibly more frequent passage of stool - is a common problem during rainy days as runoff contaminates water sources, especially in open sources.

Less cholera cases, too

Meanwhile, Dacoco reported that suspected cholera cases in the region significantly dropped by 79 percent, from 564 cases last year to 118 cases this year.

Southern Leyte recorded the highest number with 90 cases concentrated in the towns of Padre Burgos, Macrohon, and Maasin City. The situation is largely attributed to damaged water sources caused by Typhoon Odette in 2021.

“DOH continues to monitor waterborne diseases and urges local government units to prioritize water safety. Even purified water from refilling stations isn’t guaranteed safe unless tested," Dacoco added.

Cholera is an acute diarrheal infection caused by ingesting food or water contaminated with the bacterium Vibrio cholerae.

Symptoms will manifest between 12 hours and five days after ingesting contaminated food or water.

Among its symptoms are acute diarrhea, vomiting, and rapid dehydration.

The illness affects children and adults and can kill within hours if untreated, according to the WHO.

Aside from cholera, contaminated water can also cause acute gastroenteritis, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, dysentery, and amoebiasis, the DOH said.

(With report from PNA)

#WeTakeAStand #OpinYon #OpinYonNews #DOHEV #WHO #DiarrheaCasesinEV


We take a stand
OpinYon News logo

Designed and developed by Simmer Studios.

© 2025 OpinYon News. All rights reserved.