By RESTY CAYUBIT I Published: June 25, 2020
The whole province of Leyte remains under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) until the end of June.
Leyte Gov. Leopoldo Dominico Petilla, in an interview, announced that the implementation of the MGCQ in the whole province, to quell the spread of the coronavirus disease or COVID-19, started last June 1 and supposed to end June 15.
But because of the recent spike in the number of COVID-19 positive patients, the MGCQ has been extended until June 30.
This was under Executive Order 06-2020-01 that Governor Petilla signed last week.
The Whole Region
The COVID-19 Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the management of the emerging infectious diseases has recommended the MGCQ extension not only Leyte but also in the provinces of Samar, Southern Leyte, Biliran, Eastern Samar, and Northern Samar and in the cities of Tacloban and Ormoc, all in the Eastern Visayas region.
Whether the status remains until after June 30, or period shortened, Governor Petilla said, will depend on the recommendation of the Provincial IATF.
With this, group activities and gatherings are still prohibited. These include carnivals, concerts, sports tournaments, trade fairs, fiestas, theaters, cultural shows, clubs, religious activities, retreats, conventions, and conferences.
The governor added that under MGCQ, certain business establishments were allowed to resume operations on conditions that they will observe minimum health measures such as wearing of facemasks, providing sanitizers or disinfectants.
Public utility vehicles (PUVs) were also permitted to operate with the same health requirements and the safety measures and conditions imposed by the Department of Transportation.
Petilla, however, clarified that business establishments or transport vehicles has the right to reject the entry of any customer or passenger who they find exhibiting influenza-like symptoms or not wearing a facemask.
Travel and movement of all the residents in the province were not restricted but all health and safety measures were to be observed.
The governor said province’s borders are closed, whether by land, air and sea but with the exception of beneficiaries of the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program, locally stranded individuals, and returning overseas Filipino workers who would be required to undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine period upon arrival in their respective local government units.
Also exempted from the travel ban are uniformed personnel, workers of essential business establishments and industries, authorized persons outside residence (APOR) or health and emergency frontliners, delivery personnel of cargo vehicles, those traveling for medical or humanitarian reasons, and accredited construction workers.